Monday, February 28, 2011

Cancer Sucks.

At the risk of alienating my most sensitive readers, I've just gotta say it:  Fuck cancer.

If you've been reading, you know I don't throw that word around cheaply.  I don't resort to profanity to shock or offend you.  It's the only way to adequately convey my anger and the profound sense of injustice I've felt while reliving all of this. In fact, if you are so sensitive that the little pixels making up the word “fuck” made your heart skip a beat, I highly suggest that you click on that little “x” in the corner of your screen.

If you are a parent whose child is fighting cancer, I urge you to do so.

I'm not trying to challenge anyone, I'm not daring you to continue on with this post, I'm not trying to get melodramatic.  I'm trying to warn you that I intend to post the most offensive thing that I have seen.

You may recall this photograph from my previous post about Stephen's hair loss: 


January 1995.



And I'm sure you remember this one of Stephen and all of his buddies:



February 1995.


These images, right here, are where most children's cancer charities and awareness groups STOP. When the children are pale, and bald, and obviously ill, but still beautiful little fairy children. They leave you to imagine that the kids who lose their battles fade gently away into the afterlife of your choosing.

The reality is that cancer is ugly. And relentless. And cruel.

THIS is offensive:


June 1995.  And a very good, photogenic day.


Cancer, and it's treatments, didn't stop at taking Stephen's hair. In less than seven months:
It took the vision in his right eye.
It paralyzed his face.
It took the fine motor control from his hands.
It took his ability to sit up unassisted.
It caused the seizures that we sat and watched helplessly.
It filled his lungs with fluid.
It more than doubled his weight, from 48 pounds to 105.
It took his ability to speak coherently.
It put him in a wheelchair, where on the rare occasion that we were able
  to take him out in public, strangers  would assume that he was mentally
  disabled, and would speak to him as such.
It took his immune system, to the point where we were unable to take him
  out at all.
It took his life.


Stephen faced his battle with so much bravery, and so much hope, and so much appreciation for the love from the community that rallied around him.  But he also felt anger at the injustice of his fate, and on just one occasion railed against God.

Stephen and my mother were home, alone, after his radiation therapy had ended.  They had never openly spoken of the possibly of death, despite the homecoming meaning the end of cancer treatment and the beginning of palliative care.

Out of the blue, he asked, “Mom, why does God hate me?”

She was shocked. “Why would you think God hates you?”

Well, first I get a real nice stereo for Christmas, and God takes my hearing.  Then, I get some cool video games, and God takes my hands so I can't play them.  Then I have this great big TV, and I have to wear a patch over my eye, so it's hard to see....”

He began to cry, which he rarely did.  “Why doesn't he just take my breath and get it over with?”

“God doesn't hate you,” my mother said, holding back tears of her own.  “He is waiting for you, with open arms to welcome you.  He loves you very much.”

Stephen never mentioned God again.

No child should ever have to beg God to let him die.



I've been trying to end all of my posts on an upbeat note.  I can't do it today.



Instead, here's something empowering we can do.  I've been linking this blog on Facebook to the point of annoying, and I'm sure that some people have started to scroll right on by. Or have maybe even chosen to “hide” me. And that's ok. Understandable.  This hasn't been a "fun" blog, and not everyone can handle it.

For that matter, I don't even know what sort of algorithm Facebook uses to decide what posts appear where anymore – all I know is that I haven't seen every update that every friend types.  They've changed the News Feed so that by default you can only see updates from people you have recently interacted with.  So I'm not sure who is even aware that this blog exists.  Short of sending all 275 of my friends a personal message, there is only one way I can think of to get everyone to sit up and take notice.

Today's post would be one hell of an intro to anyone who'd never been here before... so TOMORROW, Tuesday, March 1st, I will post a Buzz For Bubbers update, titled “You Can't Ignore Cancer.”   

Please.  Link that post to your Facebook page.  Request that your friends and family share it as well.  I'd love to open my page on Tuesday, March 1st, and see that message repeat itself over, and over, and over again, 200+ times down my computer screen.  Alternately; tweet it, text it, email it, feature it on your own blog... just get it out there!

It's so quick.  It's so simple.  And if you want to follow it up seconds later with the typical “I'm eating asparagus,” or “The temperature in Decatur is 47 degrees below zero,” or “My kid just pooped on the floor and it was sooo cute, lol,” go right ahead!  I'm just asking you to put it up there.  Just for a second.

There are less than three weeks left.  We are getting close to the end.  I'd like to thank you all, again, for reading, and for doing so much to help me help these kids! 





To donate to St. Baldrick's in honor of Stephen, click HERE!
See the blog post on "Binary Voting" for details on how to vote for or against my head shave!

2 comments:

  1. Think about it. If each of my 275-ish friends posted this, and ONE of each of their friends (of which I know you have hundreds!) gave $10, that would raise another $2750 for the cause.

    Do you think you have ONE friend with an extra $10? Let's find out! It costs YOU nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son too would ask, "why does God hate me so much?" I don't think it is God, but a lack of knowledge and sometimes compassion that some oncologist have for their patients.

    I have a son that not only has ALL leukemia, the most aggressive form of this disease, but is also mentally disabled. He had a reaction from steroids that caused a behavioral reaction ,one time out of many chemo sessions, which lead to his doctor refusing to offer him any additional treatments. This happened at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Florida recently, and "they" closed the door for any hope for my son to destroy the active cancer cells in his bone marrow. I was informed, "they" would not consider him as a candidate for a bone marrow transplant due to this one episode from steroids. I hope there are rights for the disabled Americans to challenge their decision.

    I do understand your pain--the side effects of chemo are terrible, but you are a loving parent that was trying to save your son's life, and did everything you thought was in his best interest--what I am currently doing for my son. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your anger will eventually subside. I believe that doing things in his memory, such as this blog, will be therapeutic and help you do something positive to reach out to help others. Blessing to you and yours. Your son is now looking over your shoulder and wants you to be happy!

    I feel my son was abandoned by the medical profession, and his case cannot be an isolated one. My question is "are there oncologist acting if they are God dispensing life saving chemo, and what other alternatives are there to save our children?? Peace and his memories be with you!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete