Thursday, March 10, 2011

Weekend Update -- Week 7. Countdown: 10...9...8...7....

Staying true to form, I'm changing up the timing of my weekend update again.  Only this time it's with a purpose in mind.  But I'll get to that.

So, Happy Thursday Night!  Or Friday morning, depending on how much of a night-owl you are.

In fact, I'm posting my whole typical update upside-down tonight, so let's get those pesky stats out of the way right off the bat, shall we?

Donations:  $7,298!
I've finally got someone creeping up on my top ranking for fundraising, but I suspect that it may, in fact, be a team.  Or a person with multiple personalities?  Either way, there sure is a LOT of money coming in to help these kids!  The top seven participants have each raised over $2,000, and the top thirteen participants have topped $1,000.  I suspect we'll see a few more commas in the rankings by the time of the big shave!

This week's voting tally:
     Yes, shave it!    =  406
     No, just a trim!  =  319

So, all of my hair-care products and accessories are going into a box for a while.  I haven't colored my hair since the holidays, and I've got a WHOLE lot of silver goin' on up there.  It'll be interesting to see exactly how much.  And whether it makes me look "distinguished" or "old."  

 
Distinguished.
Distinguished.

Distinguished?
Umm...
Ok, there we go.  Distinguished.


So we'll just chalk that up to a "black and white" vs. "color" photograph thing, and not as a male vs. female thing.  That's a topic for a whole other blog.



Back to this week's news:  I was the recipient of a random act of kindness on Wednesday.  I complimented a woman on her beautiful orange and red sheer beaded scarf while I was at Gymboree with my littlest guy.  I've been looking for ways to adorn my head/neck/shoulders/ears once I no longer have this curtain of hair to hide behind.  I followed up by asking where she bought it, and she replied, "In India."

Well, then.

After class, knowing that there is a huge Indian population in that part of Austin, I asked if there were any local shops that she knew of that sold that style of scarf.  At which point she took it off, and offered it to me.  I was completely taken aback, and protested, "Oh, no, I couldn't possibly...."  She insisted, claiming that she had literally dozens of them at her home.  And I'm sure you know how this ends.




Finally, my purpose for the upside-down update:  Today, I wanted to host an open forum for comments on "Buzz for Bubbers."  I feel like I've (necessarily) focused way too much on Stephen's illness.  I just couldn't possibly make the time to include all of him.  I'd like to flesh him out a bit more for the person he was, and not just as a cancer patient.  It almost seems unfair to him to only present that side of his story to the world.  I'd appreciate any little stories about, or memories of Stephen that you'd be willing to share.

It certainly doesn't have to be a marathon writing project -- even just something small, like a nickname he had for you, or a prank he pulled, or a conversation you had... anything that sticks out in your mind after all of these years would be wonderful.  A gift to him, a gift to my family, a gift to his nephews, a gift for all of us!

If you'd like to contribute a story, I'd be grateful.  Please, click  here!





To donate to St. Baldrick's in honor of Stephen, click HERE!
See the blog post on "Binary Voting" for details on how to vote for or against my head shave!  Not that it will count for much at this point.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment